As you can see, it is VERY involved, and uses about 30 different machine tools that I don't have in my classroom... So I set about to re-create it using nothing more than a drill press, a welder, and various hand tools. Here's what I came up with.
The class this is for is an Engines & Metals class, so there has to be some welding... Making the "crankcase".
Making the cylinder.
First attempt at a piston- using an allen bolt I had sanded down. Didn't work- didnt have enough piston skirt and it would get kinked sideways and jam.
Beggining assembly- the piece of bicycle chain was used for the crankshaft.
Exploded view of parts. Note the piston- I cheated a little and spun it down on my Smithy Lathe. I think with the right size drill bit and metal rod, I can get it to work with some light sanding in the drill press.
Some vid of it running!
And this was a breakthough for me- I finally figured out how to "animate" stuff in Sketchup. I did this using the Proper Animation plugin. Fairly simple, hoping I can get it to work a little smoother. Still playing with it.
So there you go. I have several changes in mind for the one my students will build, hopefully making it a little simpler to lay out and build without using any machine tools. Watch for some samples in a few weeks!
Post a Comment