I've been working on the bike trailer off and on over the summer, but have neglected to post much of it here so it's time for an update!
So I got kicked out of my shop for the summer so they could redo the
floors. Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on pulling
things back out and setting the shop back up.
The next step is seat mounting and seat belt mounting. I drilled a
couple of holes for the seat and got it set in place. Did some
measuring and bending and came up with this:
It goes around behind the seat and gives me a spot to mount 4 of the 5 points on the harness.
Marked some angles, cut it down, and tacked it on.
With the seat attached...
I would have liked it to be a little closer to the seat, but this should
work great. Still need to finish weld, and I've got an idea for some
gussets at the joint that can double as fender mounts.
I set it all up, climbed up and sat in it, then had my 9 year old try
and lift the tongue- he lifted it easily. This is with me laying
totally back. Dan's a bit lighter than me so I'm not sure how that will
translate to tongue weight- almost think since theres less of him to
counterbalance there might be MORE tongue weight. Guess we'll see.
I'm pretty happy that the balance seems to have worked out- that was
one of my main concerns. So far the frame is still super light too.
Have a few gussets to add and still need paint, leg holder, windshield
(?), fenders, and a few other odds and ends but its starting to shape
Started going through the scraps I picked up at a local machine shop-
scored a perfect chunk for a new axle so I began re-making it.
Makin' some HOT chips...
Also made some gussets for the seat belt frame out of more of the scraps.
And welded 'em on.
Spent the doing some "detail" work- little odds and ends that suck up the time.
Made another set of gusset plates for the frame.
Tacked 'em on,
And welded them solid. Will probably make one more set of gussets to go
up on the sharp bend at the end of the big loop coming from the hitch.
Started figuring how to mount the seat belt.
What you don't really see here is I also made some brackets for the rear seat mounts and tacked them in place.
Been hemming and hawing about how to attach the seat belts. At first I
thought I would just drill some holes through the frame but decided
that holes will probably weaken it, so I made up a few brackets.
Tacked 'em in,
Welded them and then cleaned everything up with the wire wheel.
Test fitting the harness.
Yeah, I think that'll do nicely!
Did some figuring,
Laid it out,
and made a mock up of the foot pan.
Still thinking about options for this. Would be cool to build a
framework and then lace it with straps, but I will probably build the
pan out of aluminum and have some steel framework underneath for
Dan's coming over for a test fitting. That will help
me know where the leg pan needs to go, whether or not I need to shorten
the tongue, and also if I need to bring the fenders down on the outside
of the wheel to keep fingers out.
Hope they like it so far!