A couple of months ago my son managed to shatter the screen of my wife's Ipad. Ouch. It still worked but as we continued to use it shards of glass would fall out. Not cool. Got to checking and it's rather expensive to have someone fix it for you. The glass, on the other hand, is pretty cheap! Hey, I can fix anything, right?!
Did some research, bought some parts, and here's what I came up with.
So here's the kit and the broken Ipad. It came with the glass
(digitizer), adhesive, and a pack of tools. Tools actually are pretty
solid and came in handy, although I did almost all of the removal work
with a putty knife.
Got the whole kit and caboodle from Amazon for $32.00 shipped. Here's the seller: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This kit did NOT come with the plastic rim piece or the foam gasket, and
I would have used them if it did. I managed to re-use the plastic rim
piece even though it broke while taking it out. I think with some
practice you could leave the plastic in place and just pop the glass
out, but I'm hoping I don't have to find that out.
Read through the destructions, and watched this vid a time or two...
Bit by bit, working the glass up with the blow dryer. The heat
definitely makes a huge difference. The directions said several times
to WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, and I'm glad I did- several times bits of glass
shattered and shot me in the face.
Removed the 4 screws and tipped up the screen.
If you look close at the bottom left hand corner, you can see the cables
that need to be unplugged. Watch the video closely, it explains very
well how to get them unhooked.
Time for cleanup. Spent most of my time getting bits of old adhesive
and glass slivers out of the body. Took forever. Blew it out with air,
picked some more, blew it out again, wiped the screen down, repeat
about 50 times.
Re-assembly wasn't to bad. Hook up the digitizer, then hook up the screen.
Flip the screen over and screw it down. Apply adhesive to the back of the glass.
Did a test fit, and like Mr. Bob said, the goofy cable is pretty hard to
get to lay down in it's little slot. Finally got it to fit right, so I
peeled off the adhesive backs and stuck it down.
It works! Have it sitting under some weights overnight to make sure the
sticky stuff sticks. We'll see how well it worked in the morning. $32
bucks and a couple hours of labor is a heck of a lot better than