title

Motorcycles, tools, and garages! A little bit of everything mechanical and technical.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Not quite right.

My engines class is getting their motors back together.  One of my students asked me to check a head bolt for him, and I'm glad he did!  It threaded in fine most of the way, but suddenly got harder to turn.  I pulled it out and looked at it for a bit and something didn't seem quite right...


Can you see it?


Photobucket

How about now!?

Photobucket

If you look really close, one bolt is about 1/8th of an inch longer.  If you look even closer at the long bolt, you can see where a section has necked down and the threads are stretched out.  Think that head bolt has been torqued a time or two!?  I did some quick figuring and in the 3.5 years I've been teaching here, my engines have been torn down and reassembled roughly 15 times.  Who knows HOW many times in the last 20+ years these motors have been kicking around...  These bolts

Also working on sprucing up the welding booth.  Now that I have a class that actually uses it, I needed to make it a bit easier to use.  Been re-arranging things and updating a few minor things.  Finally got the TIG welder moved  and tidied up all the  cords laying around.  Much easier to use now and no tripping hazard.  Still need to build a cage for the bottle though...

Photobucket

No comments: