title

Motorcycles, tools, and garages! A little bit of everything mechanical and technical.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Busy much?

Stumbled across these two articles the other day.

Why psychologist say you should ban busy from your vocabulary.

and

Busy is a sickness.

If I had to pick one word to describe me, it would be busy.  When asked how I am, or whats been going on- my response:  Busy.

Very interesting read because the last couple of months I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that goes on in life, and it seems like I keep throwing fuel on the fire trying to sneak in a few extra projects here and there.

Just recently, for the first time in a long time (ever?), I turned away some "extra" work.  I still feel bad about having to say no but on the other hand it sure feels nice to not have my To Do list expanding at 5 times the speed that I can check things off.  Since then, I've been able to bring myself to tell a few more people I just can't handle more projects right now.

Has it helped?  We'll see.  Still feel light years behind in trying to get our house sold, and have customer projects left over from last year, but I'm making headway.  The play ends this week and that will open up a lot of time to catch up on everything I feel behind in which will be nice.

The key here I think is to "just keep swimming".  It's like trying to fill a can with rocks, gravel, and sand.  If you put the sand in first, the rocks won't fit.  Stuff the rocks in first, then let the gravel and sand fill in the gaps and everything fits.  Spend time with the family, have some time to do things that keep you sane (i.e.- ride a motorcycle or build a Hot Wheel), and here's the tricky one because it seems so backwards- donate some of your time to help others, and THEN all of those required jobs and responsibilities seem to fit right in.

Is life BUSY?  No.  Its just... Full.  And that's a good thing!

No comments: