title

Motorcycles, tools, and garages! A little bit of everything mechanical and technical.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Mendelmax 2.0 HAS ARRIVED!

My kit showed up on Valentines day!  I hot footed it down to the office to pick it up between classes, and here's what I got.

Surprisingly smallish box, but heavy.  Lots of aluminum in there, and several pounds of stainless hardware!



Very efficiently packed- everything was tightly wrapped up and looks to have made its voyage in great shape.



First things first, print a set of instructions, available here through google docs: http://www.makerstoolworks.com/suppo...ssembly-guide/ .  Keep in mind, the instructions are a work in progress right now and there are several others like me that are making suggestions and changes to them as we assemble our kits. 



Here's a breakdown of all of the parts in the box.

Hardware. Not pictured is a box of washers, and also a set of allen wrenches- the cool ones with the balled ends for getting in hard to reach places!  Everything, as you can see, is clearly labeled and very well sorted out.



More specialty hardware. I was afraid to open the bag for fear that I'd loose something...  It has the belts, bushings, bushing housings, "cars", derlinger (?) nuts, couplers, and all of the fancy odd-ball hardware.



Printed parts.  Not sure why the bearing was in the bag with these, but there you go.



Laser cut parts.  Most of them are of excellent quality.  Anodizing looks good- a few minor scratches here and there but nothing I'm worried about.  There was one part that the laser cutter didn't make very clean cuts on (at least, that's my opinion), but it its 100% functional so I'm not worried about it.



Extruded parts and rails. Not much to say here, they all looked great, and cut pretty much perfectly to square.



Heated bed parts.  Aluminum sheet for a heat spreader at the far right, sheet of glass (survived the shipping!) in the middle, and the heater on the left.



AND- some pretty darn cool customer service and a bit of BLING.  If you can't read the letter, they threw in $5 just in case some hardware was missing so I could go purchase it.  So far (and I'm actually getting close to done with the kit as I type this) I haven't had any missing parts.



I got kit # 6 of 40.   Let the fun begin!

As I mentioned, I have a lot of this already done, and am now typing up the assembly process.  There are a TON of pictures already posted on my thread on adventure rider here:  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854167 .  I will continue to post pics there first to help organize my thoughts, and then re-post them here with more details on the assembly process.

No comments: